"We placed Chasseur, our 1989 Little Harbor 54, with Johanson Boatyard in 2008 for a total refit prior to an extended family cruise in the Caribbean. We selected Johanson based on prior work they had done for us with high quality and a fair price.
Our work plan included both cosmetic and functional updates. Chasseur had her topsides and deck Awlgripped and her hull stripped, faired and barrier coated. Her standing rigging was replaced and new roller furlers added for the jib and inner staysail. On deck we added a new windlass and had the teak varnished. Below decks, both engine and genset were overhauled, the plumbing and electrical systems updated and a new fresh water electric head was installed. Add to that dozens of smaller tasks and we ended up keeping the yard busy throughout the winter.
Chasseur launched in May of '09 on schedule and on budget. Since then, we have cruised New England, sailed her offshore to the Caribbean and are now cruising the island chain. Chasseur has been very reliable and the work done by the yard has proved to be very high quality. We have had very few problems with her rigging, mechanical or propulsion systems which has added to our enjoyment of our cruise.
I would highly recommend this yard for any work, regardless of complexity."
The hull was wet so, once hauled, we stripped the bottom and let the hull dry out in one of our heated work bays. We monitored the moisture content through the winter to ensure the hull was dry before we sprayed this spring.
- Stripped the bottom and sprayed with 2000 and Micron 66 bottom paint
- Refurbished teak decks, caulked bung repairs, etc.
- Refurbished deck hatches
- Awlgripped deck and house under new non-skid
- Faired & awlgripped topsides
- Custom stern platform
- Installed a new dodger, bimini, and enclosure
- Installed a new windlass with cordless remote
- Upgraded Air conditioning system
- Upgraded Refrigeration system
- Rebuilt generator
- Rebuilt engine; new charging system
- Installed new standing rigging and raised gooseneck
- Installed 2 new Harken furlers
- Installed New VacuFlush head system
- Installed New fuel lines and racors
- Stripped exterior varnish and refinished